Friday, December 22, 2006

 

DECEMBER

DECEMBER.

The eagle has landed, or should be dropping in soon. I've made up a little mix of some classics and new favorites to enjoy while holed up during the cold weather months (although Providence has been enjoying the best global warming has to offer these last few weeks). It's pretty eclectic and a bit different than the mixed tapes I usually throw together, but none the less it's representative of musical me in 2006. I don't have a scanner so I can't post the cover I made, but the real thing is always better.

Be Your Own Pet "Bicycle, Bicycle, You Are My Bicycle" - A catchy tune with sage advice.
Guided By Voices "Everywhere With Helicopter" - One of those songs you love getting suck in your head.
Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores "Valse" - One of Providence's finest. Alec has some other amazing side projects that are worth checking out too.
The Nips "Gabrielle" - Before the Pogues, there was the Nips (or Nipple Erectors)...but there was always the drink.
Billy Bragg "A New England" - from Back to Basics, an album I will never tire of.
Walter Schriefels "Bicycle Song" - I've made entire mixes devoted to bicycle related songs. Here I restrained by self and kept it to two.
Ghost Mice "Lightning Bolt" - Hannah was the fist girl I ever saw play in a rock and roll band (the Sissies). This is her current Plan-It-X project.
Pogues "streams of whiskey" - McGowen at his finest.
Mustafa Ozkent Orchestra "Uskudar" - Classy and danceable.
The Damned "Alone Again Or" - For all you romantics out there.
The Flaming Lips "She is Death" - From the early "Finally the Punks are Taking Acid" years.
Lack of Knowledge "Crash Barrier" - Another cheery one off Crass Records in England (reissued on "The Grey CD" recently).
Tragic Mulatto "Debbie" - A new favorite band of mine. They released some great albums on Alternative Tentacles in the 80s.
Husker Du "It's Not Funny Anymore" - Can you type umlats on an American keyboard?
Saint Vitus "White Magic/Black Magic" - One of the fist doom metal bands. A favorite from my boyfriend's record collection when we first met...geek love.
Dust From 1000 Yrs. "Broken Stuff" - The best band you've never heard of coming out of Bloomington, IN.
Bruce Springsteen "Nebraska" - I was so glad that someone requested this. This is my favorite Springsteen album and it reminds me of home.
Glenn Branca "Lesson no. 1" - He never ceases to amaze me.
Hungry March Band "Jupanese Ju Ju" - Comin' outta NYC. Jump on the marching band band wagon...it's hot!
Lightning Bolt "Saint Jacques" - The most well known band to come out of the Providence noise scene.
Can Kickers "Wolves a Howling" - Three guys from Connecticut heavily influenced by the Anthology of American Folk (it will change your life) and Minor Threat.
Rev. F.W. McGee "Fifty Miles of Elbow Room" - A selection straight from the Anthology of Am. Folk. So important, so good.
Mum "Small Deaths are the Saddest" - Iceland: so cold, so electronic.




Comments:
out of all these songs, i maybe knew 4 of the artists. but i liked this mix, it kept me awake!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?